Paradox of Desire
PARADOX OF DESIRE, the dynamic dance-theatre production by Suzy Blok in co-production with the Theatercompagnie premiered on the 30th of May 2005 in the Compagnietheater in Amsterdam.
Theme is the paradox of desire. Desire exists when the object of desire is not immediately at reach. When the desire is satisfied it is no longer a ”desire“ and a new one soon arises to take its place. Dance, text and music are combined in this production performed by four dancers, two actors and one musician.
For the first time Suzy worked together with theatre director Theu Boermans to intensify the research of combining dance and text. Every action in the performance has a mental and a physical aspect. The main point being that both language and movement compose the partituur.
The words paradox and desire were extensively examined, portraying the perpetuum mobile of hope and despair that these words cause. Because these problems - this paradox of desiring - are too large for life. Or life is too small for this eternal desiring.
The music was specially composed and performed by Canadian composer and musician Krista Vincent.
Choreography & direction Suzy Blok
- Text-direction Theu Boermans
- Script Monica Blok, Suzy Blok
- Dancers Alba Barral Fernandez, Kelly Hirina, Reinier Schimmel, Jaakko Toivonen
- Acteurs Roos Drenth en Leopold Witte Musician & composer Krista Vincent
- Decors Tjallien Walma van der Molen
- Light design Desiree van Gelderen Erik van Raalte
- Costume design Dorine van IJsseldijk
- Dramaturgy Berthe Spoelstra & Monica Blok
- Text Monica Blok, David Grossman, Gabriel Garcia Marques
- Rehearsal director Desiree Schneider
- Production Erik van Raalte
- Technical staff Boy van Maasakker, Leo van der Zijden, Theunis Zijlstra
- Production assistant DU Mariken van Sitteren
- Publicity Theatercompagnie & Dance Unit
- Management and sales Dance Unit & Theatercompagnie
Paradox of desire is a co-production of stichting Satori and de Theatercompagnie and was made possible with financial support by the Fonds voor Amateurkunst en Podiumkunsten, stichting Doen and VSB Fonds.